Saturday, September 19, 2009

Catching up!

Today has been a wonderful day of solitude. Living in a community like this, without a car, means that people are constantly around. Typically this is perfect for my extroverted personality, but lately I have been craving time alone and today I found it. I am very thankful for it as well, since this week is sure to be a busy one! The home office staff is coming down for a staff retreat, which means a week packed full of activities and training. It also means that the Guckenbergers are back, adding 3 more kids to my class. I am so excited to have them here! However, over the past two weeks I have grow very comfortable teaching my 2 grades, so I am a little nervous about adding another grade to the mix. I would really appreciate your prayers this week as I attempt to teach all three grades for the first time.

Speaking of school, here are a few pictures of my first couple weeks!

Here I am with my kids on the first day of school!

The whole school!



On the first day of school we all worked together to come up with our Classroom Covenant.



This Wednesday was Mexican Independce Day! The night before, at 11:00pm, Mexicans come together to reenact the speech that was given to declare independence from Spain. The governor comes out and addresses the people and everyone yells "Viva Mexico"and there is a celebration with fireworks! It is called "El Grito", which means "the shout". In honor of this, there were many festivities!

We had our own celebration at SMCA...


I did el grito speech for the kids at SMCA... I didn't know all the words, but at least we got the "Viva Mexico" part right!



After the speech we had a march around the property. We blew whistles and shouted "Viva Mexico"!



We also celebrated with the precious kids at Casa Hogar Douglas. This is the first Casa Hogar (children's home) that Back 2 Back started working with and it is right up the road from our property.



All the kids dressed up and Ruby and I painted faces!






Later that night, we went to El Centro in downtown Monterrey for the real event!

The city was filled with people, vendors and music! After we did the shout and sang the national anthem, there was a great fireworks show!


Well that is a little bit of what I have been up to over the past two weeks. Time is flying by and I thankful for days like today when I can rest and be reminded of how precious each day is! Every morning I begin the school day by doing devotions and prayer with my kids. I love this time of sharing the things that we praise the Lord for. It is so refreshing to start each day with thanksgiving to our God!

I praise the Lord for the mountains and his promise that they can be moved with the faith of a mustard seed.
I praise him for the rain that fills up our wells and brings cooler temperatures.
I praise him for the time that I got to spend with my dad when he was here last week.
I praise him for the technology that allows me to stay connected with those that I love.
I praise him for the way that he is breaking my heart for the orphan child and those who have never had the opportunity to hear the Word of God.
I praise him for the moments of loniless that cause me to seek him with more fervor.
I praise him for today, another day that I get to be alive and serve my Maker.

What do you praise the Lord for today?

Joyfully,

Jessica





1 comment:

  1. A great start to the year sweetie. Start as you plan to continue.

    We love your "scroll" of praises. What joy it brings.

    Folks are commenting to us on how much they love your blog and your writing.

    You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love you very much, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete