Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Trip Down the Lazy River

When I came back to Mexico to begin my second year of teaching, I soon realized that something had changed....

Monterrey feels like home.

When I drive through the city I know where I am going, I know what I am going to see and what to expect. I have grown more comfortable with the language. I have developed deeper relationship with the other women on staff. There have been a few moments when I see the mountains in the morning or walk behind my apartment to do my laundry and I am struck with the thought of, "Wow, this is really where I live." I praise God for this because it is a wonderful feeling, I feel so blessed to be living here in this season of my life.

Also, the more I explore this city and learn about the vibrant Mexican culture, the more I love it! One great excuse for exploring new parts of the city is by sneaking it into a field trip... oh, how I do love my job! For our October field trip we went downtown to the river walk and took a boat tour through the city. We then had lunch in the park and ended the day with a visit to the Steel Museum.

On the riverboat we had a gorgeous view of Saddleback Mountain!

The River Walk is one of my favorite parts of the city. These quaint little buildings are all restaurants and in the evenings you can sit outside and have dinner.


Here are some shots of the kids on the boat. Sorry I didn't take too many, I was too busy enjoying the sunshine! :)

Now that we are done soaking up the sun, we are going to soak up some history! Yippee, off to the Steel Museum!


Riding up the shaft that used to carry the steel to pour into the giant oven.




SMCA kids at the lookout... what a great view of the park!


Ruby and I at the top of the museum.


SMCA in front Horno 3, the Steel Museum

There is a little glimpse into the first field trip of the year. What could be more fun than getting to have school outside while learning about the fascinating city that we live in? Ok, I'm sure my students could think of plenty of things that are more fun! :) But overall it was a great day and I'm excited to see what we can come up with for a November excursion.

Thanks for checking in! Until next time, I pray that you are resting in the peace and provision of the Lord this week!

Blessings,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment