Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Talitha Kumi

As I shared in the last post, Namibia is certainly a beautiful country. Yet even more beautiful than the landscapes are the people- especially the precious children that I had the opportunity to teach for a week at Talitha Kumi Christian School. The Talitha Kumi students are primarily orphans whose parents have died from the AIDS virus. The children live in foster families throughout the community and are able to receive care and a quality education through Children of Promise Ministries and Talitha Kumi. 

On June 29th, I wrote, "Today Jill and I went to the school, met with come teachers and got to spend time in the classrooms. I loved that!! I'm going to be teaching 5/6th grade Math and Social Studies all next week! I'm so excited to get a real feel for what it would be like to teach here. I am amazed at how much this school is a real-life picture of the school I have always imagined in my mind that I would be teaching in one day. Crazy! I'm beginning to be able to see myself here for a season possibly- I don't know when or how, but I do feel You (God) doing something in my  heart." 

Here is the school and the students that have captured my heart... 

The playground... 

... in need of a fresh coat of paint...

... so we painted! 

My 5th and 6th Graders. Oh, how I miss them! 
Practicing skits in 5th grade social studies class. 
Performing skits!
6th Graders performing raps about natural resources. 
My sweet 6th graders! 
Jump rope was the favorite activity during break time! 


I gave it a try too! :) 

One morning our team performed a skit for the morning assembly. We acted out the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. 

My favorite time of the day was "HUG TIME" with the preschoolers.   I can't think of a better way to start out the day then  being attacked with 100s  of hugs from adorable, energetic preschoolers! 




I loved teaching at Talitha Kumi. On July 4th, I wrote, "It amazes me how normal life here feels. Teaching social studies, leading dance class... it just feels right... like I have been here forever. It seems like these students have been mine all year. I don't want to leave them in one short week."


It was indeed hard to say goodbye to these wonderful kiddos. Yet I am overwhelmingly thankful for the short time that I did get to spend with them. I am still amazed at how the particular need while I was there happened to be exactly what I am trained to do. God is so much bigger than I can even begin to fathom. He knew that for one specific week, the school would be in desperate need of a 5/6th teacher, so there I was, just at the right time to fill that need. I feel so richly blessed to have been able to be a part of the school and the students' lives, even for such a short time.

Love from across the miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment