Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Welcome to the Desert

Tomorrow marks the year anniversary of moving to Charlotte. What a year it has been! One of the highlights of the year was undoubtedly the time that I spent in Namibia this summer. I have been home for 2 weeks now, and I still miss it terribly. It has been fun to sort though the pictures and relive the memories. In an effort to share the trip with you, I have broken my pictures down into a few different categories that I plan to post over the next couple of days. I will let my pictures do most of the talking as I share this incredibly journey with you! 

Today's theme is "Welcome to the Desert". Whenever I hear someone tell about a trip that they went on, it always helps me feel more connected to the story if I can picture the place in my mind. So today I will try to paint a picture in your mind of Arandis, Namibia-  a small town in the middle of the desert that I was blessed to call home for 2 and a half short weeks. 

Jill and I looking fresh and chipper as we wait for our first flight out of Raleigh, NC. 40 hours later we would reach Arandis- not quite as fresh, but definitely thankful to have arrived safely at our destination.   
We made it! Here's a group shot of the team. 
Welcome to our home for the trip! 
Home Sweet Home
Walking though the streets and getting acquainted with the lay of the land. It was a small town and we walked everywhere, so it didn't take too long to become familiar with where everything was. 
A typical street in the town. The only thing missing is the kids that are usually playing  games in the streets... 
 
                                               
The flat desert landscape lets you see for miles and miles in all directions. 

A few trees lining the road, and my new friends posing for a picture. :) 
I did get made fun of for taking a picture of the dumpster, but what a perfect picture of the color palate of Arandis. A pristinely blue sky with a sea of desert gold stretching as far as the eye can see. 

Each morning as Jill and I walked to school we were astounded by the breathtaking sunrises. We had to start leaving for school 10 minutes early so that we could have plenty of time to stop and take pictures along the way. 

Another glorious morning view from outside of the school (more to come about the school...)

I hope you enjoyed your brief tour though the town of Arandis. [We also spent time in Swakopmund and Okahandja, but more on that later.] Thanks for stopping by. Stay tuned for my adventures teaching at Talitha Kumi Christian School! :)



Love from across the miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment