Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Colors of Mexico: The DF

My little excursion last weekend might just be one of my favorite memories I have of living in Mexico! In three days we explored three towns and celebrated the marriage of a dear friend! Since I took so many picture, I am going to split the trip into four different posts over the course of the week. This is my Colors of Mexico series! Today we are starting with The DF (Districto Federal- aka, Mexico City)!

My first year here I spent a week in Mexico City with the SMCA kids, but it was so much fun to be able to go back and explore without a schedule or an agenda. The streets were filled with artisans and vendors and there was so much to take in! It was a blast!

This building below is like the Mexican version of the White House.

Look at all the fun things to buy! I made it out with only purchasing a scarf and a glass a freshly squeezed orange juice.

El Templo Meyor... this is the excavation site in the heart of downtown. Archeologists have discovered the tips of the massive pyramids of the Tenochititlan, the ancient city that modern day Mexico City was built on.



This church is located next to the site of El Templo Meyor. If you look closely at this picture you might notice that it looks crooked. Well, interesting enough, the picture is straight, but the church is sinking. Mexico City was built on top of Tenochitilan, which was build on a lake, and slowly over time, parts of the city have begun to sink!

Here I am in front of a little Diego Rivera painting... he covered the walls of the Federal Palace with murals that depict the history of Mexico.







We were only in the city for about 5 hours, before we had to catch our bus to Pachuca. Check back tomorrow for a tour of Pachuca!

No comments:

Post a Comment