Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bright Clothes, Sad Eyes

This year my roommate Courtney spent some time serving in India with Back2Back. She took many incredible and heartbreaking pictures while she was there, but this one stood out to me the most. This is a picture of the street kids who came to get a meal that was being handed out.

Something about this picture pulls at my heart. There are no smiles and so many of the kids have a glazed, distant look in their eyes. Courtney shared with me that this is how they looked all afternoon. They come in, get the food and sit huddled together in their family/alliance groups, always alert and on the lookout for danger. There was no laughter. Amidst the sea of brightly colored clothes, there were no bright eyes and joyful faces.

My eyes are drawn to the little girl in the front row in the navy blue dress. She cannot be older that 4 years old and she has already seen more than I can even imagine. She has to fend for herself and live on her own... as a four-year-old! I pray that her heart has not been hardened at such a young age. I pray that she is protected from the evil things in the world. I pray that tonight as she falls asleep she will feel safe and loved by her Heavenly Father. I pray that she experiences hope and joy in her life.

Gosh, I wish I could fly over there right now and take her home with me!

If you would like to see more pictures and hear more stories from India, check out Courtney's Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment