Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Heart to Heart

In science we attempted to make a simplified model of the heart with graham crackers, marshmallows and frosting. The whole thing ended up being rather messy and un-heart-like, but I think (I hope!) it helped my kiddos to see the 4 chambers of the heart, the path that the blood takes through them, and if the chambers contain oxygenated or deoxygenated blood. The heart is such a complicated and intricate organ. As I study anatomy with my kiddos, I an continually amazed at the way that God designed our bodies to work the way that they do. It blows my mind and makes me so thankful that I am not a heart surgeon!! I am much better suited for making models out of frosting than operating on an actual heart! :)

Our Heart Model:
Red= Oxygenated Blood in the left side of the heart (Left Atrium on top and Left Ventricle on bottom)
Blue= Deoxygenated Blood in the right side of the heart (Right Atrium on top and Right Ventricle on bottom)

So let's see if I can remember... the blood comes into the Left Atrium through the small red marshmallows (Pulmonary Veins), then it travels down to the Left Ventricle and then out of the big red marshmallow (Ascending Aorta) and flows through the rest of the body. The deoxygenated blood then returns to the heart and enters the Right Artium through the 2 big blue marshmallows (Superior Vena Cava). It travels down into the Right Ventricle and out of the big blue marshmallow on the bottom (Pulmonary Artery) and into the lungs where the blood gets more oxygen. Then the blood heads back to the small red marshmallows and the process starts all over again! Phew!! Got it? :)

Look at these pros!
All right, that's enough of a science lesson for you today!

Hope you're having a great day! Praise the Lord for our beating hearts and that they can work even though we often have no idea what they are actually doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment