Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Gidan Bege

Today Corrie took Ruby and I to a ministry called Gidan Bege, "House of Hope". This is a ministry that reaches out to widows in Jos and teaches them to sew in order to help them be self-sufficient. The women go through a year of training and once they complete the course they are given their own sewing machine! This is such a powerful ministry and has helped to transform the lives of many women who have lost their husbands.
Here (below) is the shop where the women are taught to sew. In the morning they have Bible Study, a time of discipleship and sewing lessons. In the afternoon the space is a business where the women work to make goods to sell, or do tailoring. They will also custom-make dresses, which I of course could not resist, but more on that when I go to pick up my dress! Please notice that all of the sewing machines are run by a foot-pump because there is no electricity. I have such high respect for these amazing women!
Here (below) is the shop where the women sell their goods. Each item has a tag on it that tells who made it. There may not be malls in Jos, but it didn't take me long to find some good shopping! And for such a great cause! :)

Have I mentioned that I love it here?! Purses, aprons, skirts, oh my!!

2 comments:

  1. Great update on the widow ministry. I did not know they were serving widows there. Great news. Have a restful night and keep the updates coming.

    Love you very much, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess! I love your updates :) I will be checking them often...If you go back to Gidan Bege, I will pay you back if you get an extra purse or something :) I'd love to support what they are doing. I can't wait to hear all your stories when you get back! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete