Friday, February 25, 2011

Out and About

After school today, Ruby, Caroline, Becca and I went downtown to run some errands. Can I just say that I thoroughly enjoy being downtown in Monterrey? It is true. There are so many moments when I stop and say to myself, "Wow, this is Mexico, and I live here. This is home. Crazy!"

Today was a very smooth trip because all the roads were opened. This was indeed a pleasant surprise! Pretty much whenever Ruby and I are going downtown you can guarantee that there is going to be a parade in honor of a saint and all of the main roads will be blocked. Therefore, Ruby and I drive around for an extra 45 minutes while we wind through back roads in an attempt to get to our desired destination. Running errands in Mexico is always an adventure!

While we were out I snapped some pictures to show you what a typical trip to the Centro (downtown) is like here in Monterrey.

The main shopping street in the Centro...

Palm trees everywhere, beautiful!

This next photo absolutely screams authentic Mexico!
I love the vibrant colors all around!

After the Centro we stopped by the glass shop to pick up an extra centerpiece vase for Becca's wedding reception. While we were there, in walked a man selling donuts! Fabulous! It doesn't get any better than this. I am clearly very excited about the donut man... in the glass shop no less! It was delightfully random...

"Yes please, that one.. the one loaded with chocolate and sprinkles..." Mmmm deee-lish! And only 6 pesos. You can't beat that!

After the donuts in the glass shop we headed home, worn out from shopping and sun. I sure do like it here.

***

The last picture (posted below) is one that I took last night when I was out on a date with my roomies. Since Becca is getting married next weekend we wanted to spend some quality time together. We went to Parque Fundidora, had a picnic and walked through the park. It is safe to say that this park is my favorite spot in Monterrey. It has old buildings, museums, fountains, art work, free bike rentals, an ice skating rink, miles of trails, a river boat, restaurants... you can see why I enjoy it so much. Even though it has so much to offer, my favorite part about it is that it used to be an old steel mill and all throughout the park are the original things from the factory- the ovens, the railroad tracks... and these gigantic smoke stacks. They tower above everything else, massive and majestic. I'm not sure why, but I am fascinated by them. They stand in stark contrast with the things around them and I find that to be beautiful.

Well, there you have it- a typical day of shopping in Mexico. I hope you have enjoyed the brief tour of the Centro and my other random ramblings.

Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment