Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Conviction & Cockroaches

Two things. One thoughtful, the other typical (but never ceases to take me by surprise).

Let's begin with the thoughtful-

Last night I was doing a bit of devotions when I stumbled upon a verse that leapt off the page. It was 1 Corinthians 4:7-

"For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?"

BAM! I read that and it was instant conviction. What do I have that I did not receive? Literally and spiritually. Literally, all that I have right now is because of the faith and generosity of my supporters and the provision of the Lord. Spiritually, I am nothing without the grace of God and the blood of Christ. Anything that I have in life is a direct gift from God. All of the things that I have been blessed with are an outpouring of the abundant love of the Father. Who do I think I am when I think that I deserve them or that I can earn them? Everything that I have is something that I have received from God. Life is a beautiful, wonderful gift. Oh how easily I forget that. How often I feel entitled to things. But all I have is from faith- not of works- so that I cannot boast in anything expect for the overwhelming grace and love of Christ!

So last night I was reading that verse and being reminded once again of the truth and beauty of the Gospel. My mind was being blown by the amazing grace of God. And then it happened...

Transition to thing #2- the typical....

Cockroaches.

Gross.

They are all over the place. I am pretty used to them, but usually when we have them in our apartment they are babies and they are already dead (phew!). So you can imagine my surprise when I was sitting on my bed last night, totally wrapped up in my reading and journaling, when all of a sudden a gigantic cockroach strutted across my page!! WOA! Not expecting that! It scared the heebie jeebies right out of me (In retrospect, that's probably a good thing, because what are heebie jeebies anyway and do I really want them in me?)! Anyway, I screamed, flung the cockroach (complete with devotional book) across the room and promptly squished him with a shoe. It is springtime in Mexico and the creepy crawlies are out in full force. I just wish that they would stay out of my room!

So those were my two things.

That's life for you... sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes awe-inspiring, but always taking you by surprise!

1 comment:

  1. So deep and true on #1.
    So funny and a torment on #2.
    So sweet you are willing to part with your heebie jeebies though. Most folks like to hang on to them, and even make decsions based on them. Let em go and be fearless, I say!!

    Love you tons, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete